QUICK COURSE DESCRIPTION: How to create fresh, interesting characters in about in about minutes, how to write them so they live on the page, and how develop them over time for your story OR series.
Your purchase includes DRM-free PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats, and your link to the downloadable, printable course worksheets, printable diagrams, worksheet demos, and MP3.
You can create and write characters who live and breathe on the page; who capture the attention of readers, agents, and editors; who drive your story from a compelling start to a captivating ending.
It’s not a trick, it’s not some gift of the Fiction Fairy bestowed on only a few. You have everything you need within you to start creating brilliant characters today.
If you jumpstart with the Shadow Room exercise, you can know enough about your first new, compelling character to start writing about him…in about 15 minutes.
My system is simple, and step-by-step. I break character development down into techniques you can start following immediately. I’ll show you what I do, and then take you through doing it yourself.
And I keep it short—you shouldn’t have to wade through tons of words to find the few kernels of useful knowledge that you can start applying to your own work.
So that you can start using it right away, this book is divided into three sections.
- Section One is Ask Them Anything—I explain, and then demonstrate, each of seven critical areas of character development, along with giving you printable charts offering questions that will give you a well-rounded framework for your characters. Answer as few or as many questions as you need to get a feel for the people you’ll be writing about, and ask (and answer) more as you work through your story and need new twists and turns.
- Section Two is Bring Them To Life—A tutorial on how to put all the information you’ve developed into creating people who live on the page.
- Section Three is The Sins of Characterization (And How to Commit Them Well)—Believe it or not, almost everything you can ever do wrong in putting characters on the page, you can also do right. Here I show you when a writing sin can be a virtue, and vice-versa.
All three sections include demonstrations of both unpublishable and publishable approaches to techniques and problems, and exercises that allow you to put what you’ve learned into practice.
I want to make this as close as I can to me reading over your shoulder, looking at what you’ve done, and saying, “Okay. Here’s what you can try next to get that character moving.”
Included in the price of your purchase, you can download:
- Printable worksheets
- A worksheet demo where I develop a new character using my techniques to show you exactly how it’s done
- An MP3 of the jumpstart SHADOW ROOM technique—I’ll talk you through the exercise so you can stay focused on writing
- Printable charts to keep handy for when you’re writing a character who starts to fall flat, and you need a new direction for him
With Create A Character Clinic, you’ll:
- Write characters who are fascinating and believable
- Give your characters compelling needs that resonate with readers
- Use the seven critical areas of character development to prevent “cardboard characters” and address areas of your characters’ lives you’ve never considered before
- Develop your characters’ individual voices, making each immediately recognizable from all the rest
- Discover three unique ways of presenting your character to your reader throughout the story, and use each to your story’s best benefit
- Avoid fifteen huge sins writers commit with their characters, or better yet, use them so well they surprise, excite, and delight your readers
- And much more
Today, right now, you can turn your characters YOU want to read about—because if YOU aren’t desperate to know what happens to them next, your readers won’t be, either.
With this complete, fun, practical workbook, you'll build a solid plot in about a day. Now includes downloadable, printable worksheets.
Available from this site in PDF, Kindle, and ePub format (one purchase covers all formats).
Available Books In This Series