Welcome to How To Think Sideways Premium!
For writing questions or problems, use the forums.
At the back of each lesson, you’ll find a link to that lesson’s downloadable worksheets.
When you go to the link, BOOKMARK the page using the clickable bookmark icon on you top right. Please find the bookmark link on this page now, and bookmark it.
On the same page as your worksheet download for each lesson, you’ll find links to boards, resources, and additional course downloads that will add significant depth to the lessons and techniques you’ll be learning.
Tips for Succeeding with the THINK SIDEWAYS Course
- Do the lessons in order. I built the course from basic to advanced skills, but even if you’re an advanced writer, if you don’t know how MY basics work, the lessons farther in are going to be frustrating, and you won’t get as much out of them as you would doing the course in order.
- Do all the writing exercises. Whether they seem familiar, or whether they’re uncomfortable, each exercise introduces you to a new skill—and in almost all cases, you’ll be expanding and working variants on each of this skills as the course progresses.
- Write daily. Set a LOW word limit, say 200 words, and write 200 words of something every day. When you get to your project, write on that. But start now creating a pattern of success: Anything you do over your low word limit is gravy. You succeded by sitting down and getting that first 200 words.
- Use the workgroups. When you run a problem past students who have already graduated (or are farther along than you are) you’ll be able to shave some time off your own growth as a writer.
- Offer crits for others’ work. You will learn ways to fix or improve your own work from 100% of the carefully thought-out crits you present.
- Offer sections of your own work for critique. You’ll get maybe 10% suggestions you can actually use for the specific project you’re working on. But those 10% will be terrific—and you’ve helped the other 90% by giving them work to crit. They’ll benefit from it, even if you didn’t.
- Take risks. Dare to write things that scare you. Dare to finish work. Dare to send your work out, or to self-publish it. Yes, you’ll get some bruises and skinned knees, make some mistakes, and occasionally wish you could “have that one back.” But as hockey great Wayne Gretzky once said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”